Finding Web Design Clients
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Web Designers and other Freelance Design topics.
How can I find clients if I am going to do freelance Web design work?
If you're looking for a career in freelance web design, you'll need to create a plan for finding clients. Unlike working for a company where you're given projects to work on, freelancing will require you to go out and find your own clients.
You can do this in several different ways:
- Cold call. Calling or emailing to seek out business is one way to look for clients. This is time-consuming, but it can pay off.
- Network. Joining a local chamber of commerce or getting involved in industry groups can help raise your visibility as a freelance designer. The more people you meet, the bigger the net you cast.
- Referrals. Ask current (or former) clients to keep you in mind for referrals. You can even offer them a discount if they land you any new business.
- Join a talent agency. A good talent agency will help find you work--and usually at a nice rate. It doesn't hurt to align yourself with people who are out there looking to get you jobs.
- Advertise. Advertising has been around for a long time, and it can help you connect with clients. Try to place any ads in well-thought-out spots, such as the local paper or the church bulletin if you're on a tight budget.