Your Copywriting Portfolio
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Copywriters and other Freelance Design topics.
What needs to be in my portfolio as a copywriter?
If you haven't revisited your freelance copywriting portfolio in a while, or if you're compiling one for the first time, keep in mind these principles:
- Your portfolio should work like a good piece of copywriting. Your product is your own skills and what they can do for a client. Your target market is people who have copywriting jobs to offer -- agencies, publishers, marketing people.
- Keep it short and effective -- no more than 10 or 12 printed pages, with no more than two examples per page.
- Make it available for browsing on your Web site, or for downloading and printing as a PDF.
- Whenever possible, use real ads you've written instead of fake or spec pieces.
- When choosing your best work, lean toward more mainstream pieces -- unless you're targeting a specific industry and want to demonstrate expertise within their niche.
- Demonstrate that you can integrate great writing with visual elements.
- Show that you're capable of thinking on larger scales, with examples from campaigns instead of just single pieces.
- Demonstrate an ability to write for a variety of target markets, with strong appeals to each.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.