Taxation and Freelance Work

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Becoming a Freelancer and other Freelance Design topics.

What do I need to know about taxes and freelance work?

Taxation and Freelance Work

If you are a freelancer, you are considered a sole proprietor. Other terms commonly used include self-employed, independent contractor and freelancer. Income and expenses related to your self-employment is reported on your 1040 Schedule C. Your clients may send you a Form 1099-MISC in January or February to report total payments for the previous year. Form 1099-MISC is like a W-2. It is used to report income you received for freelance work. The IRS also gets a copy of your 1099s.

*It's a good idea to keep any income not related to your freelance work separate so there is no confusion during tax time.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Freelance Design Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.